Homestead Exemption

The Homestead Exemption Office accepts applications for the various residential exemption applications.

To qualify for a homestead exemption the residence must be owner-occupied as of January 1 of the year applying for the credit. All applications must be filed between the dates of January 2 and April 1 of each year at the Poplarville office located at 100 S Main Street Poplarville, MS 39470 between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Only the owner, spouse, or holder of power of attorney may apply.


To apply for homestead, you must bring the following:

  • All deeds to your property (recorded instruments only - warranty deeds or quit claims - not the deed of trust).
  • Car tag numbers for all vehicles owned by you or in your possession.
  • Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any joint owners.
  • Birth dates for yourself, your spouse, and any joint owners.
  • Purchase price of home.
  • Purchase price of land, if you purchased it separately from the home.
  • If you built your home yourself, we need to know the cost to build it.
  • If you live in a mobile home on your property, you must bring your mobile home registration certificate.
  • If you are 65 years of age or older, you need to bring proof of age, such as a driver's license or birth certificate.
  • If you are 100% disabled, bring an award letter that has the date you were declared disabled, TPQY or BPQY letter from the disability office. We and not use the letter that states the dollar amount you receive monthly. If you do not have one of these letters, you must contact the Social Security office to get one before you can apply for the disability credit.
  • If you are a 100% service-connected disabled American veteran, you must bring in your summary of benefits letter for the Veteran's Affairs office.
  • If the property is in a trust, you must bring in proof that the applicant is the beneficiary of the trust. Only the beneficiary is allowed to apply for homestead credit.