Where can I access free legal resources?

The Chancery Clerk's Office is prohibited by state law from offering any type of legal advice or assistance in helping you prepare documents for filing in our court and land departments. We are not attorneys and can only assist you within the confines of our duties as keepers of the records. Our office, however, has compiled a list of resources available to those who meet income eligibility requirements for free legal assistance. We hope this will be of service to you.

The state's first-ever, free online civil legal help website is designed to assist Mississippi's low-income citizens with their legal questions. The website is a cooperative effort of the Mississippi Access to Justice Commission and the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project. Question topics can include family law matters (such as divorce, custody, child support, visitation, guardianship, emancipation, and adoption), name change, birth certificate correction, domestic violence, bankruptcy, consumer, education, employment, housing, workers compensation, wills, and estate planning. The site will not deal with criminal law questions. Individuals who qualify for assistance will sign up for an account and then post a question privately to the website. Attorneys will respond to questions and users will be alerted to their responses by email.

A collaborative commission was created to make available more legal services access to Mississippi's low-income citizens. The website offers insight into valuable resources in Mississippi. The Commission is funded through the generous support of the Mississippi Supreme Court, The Mississippi Bar, and The Mississippi Bar Foundation.

A non-profit legal organization dedicated to providing free legal services to low-income Mississippians with divorce, visitation, child support, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, emancipation, birth certificate correction, name change, and estate planning matters.

An organization serving eligible people with an annual household income at or below 125% of the federal poverty guidelines and reside in one of 43 counties in the central and southern regions of Mississippi. Offering services in the following areas of law: family, consumer, education, employment, housing, income maintenance, health, individual, and juvenile rights.

Mississippi College School of Law offers clinical opportunities for students to serve low-income and disadvantaged people with adoption, family, HIV-AIDS employment and housing discrimination and youth court matters.

The Northcutt Legal Clinic is a traditional law office that handles legal matters of a non-criminal nature for victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault, and stalking. The clinic attorney has 30 years of experience and is assisted by a secretary/paralegal. The clinic is a subsidiary of the Gulf Coast Center for Nonviolence, Inc. It represents victims in their legal battles for protection, for divorce, and for child custody and support. The legal clinic usually takes information from a client over the phone and then arranges an interview to determine if they can assist the client.

The University of Mississippi School of Law offers clinical opportunities for students to serve low-income and disadvantaged people across Mississippi and affect systemic change through policy initiatives and law reform projects. The Law School has clinical programs in the following areas: child advocacy, criminal appeals, elder law, family, housing, and a low-income tax clinic.

Show All Answers

1. What are Court Records?
2. Are Court Records open to the public?
3. How do I file a court record?
4. Does the Clerk's Office have blank forms for filing?
5. What are the various court filing fees?
6. What does the Clerk's office accept in payment of court filings?
7. Does Chancery offer a court appointed attorney?
8. How do I acquire a copy of my final divorce decree?
9. I received child support payments from the Department of Human Services (DHS), can the Chancery Clerk’s office help with the payments?
10. How can I do a civil commitment through the Chancery Court for someone needing mental or substance abuse treatment?
11. What is the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline?
12. Who can help me or my children experiencing Domestic Violence?
13. How do I request a Domestic Abuse Protection Order (DAPO)?
14. Where can I access free legal resources?