Every Mississippi Family should have a fully-stocked disaster supply kit. The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency suggests the following items to be included in your kit:
Disaster Supply Kit:
- Flashlight(s) with extra batteries.
- Portable radio with extra batteries.
- NOAA Weather Radio.
- Non-perishable food for at least 3 days.
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person per day).
- First Aid Kit with prescription medications.
- Bedding and clothing for each family member.
- Blankets and towels.
- Plastic dishes/eating utensils.
- Rain Jackets/pants.
- Sun screen/sunglasses/mosquito repellant.
- Baby supplies (food, diapers, medication).
- Pet supplies (food, leash & carrier, vaccination records).
- Sanitary supplies.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, cleanser, bleach, towelettes, toilet paper, trash bags, feminine hygiene products.
- Copies of important documents.
- Driver license, SS card, proof of residence, insurance policies, wills, deeds, birth and marriage certificates, tax records, medical records, family pictures, etc.
- Cash, enough to fill up your vehicle with gas and travelers checks.
- Emergency generator.
- Bicycle helmet.
To download a copy of the Disaster Supply Checklist to make sure your kit is up to date, click here.